Monday, July 21, 2008

My Vacation...... part 1

First of all I had a wonderful time on my vacation. We had 7 nights to relax and I did!!! This is my first experience in Mexico. I went because a lot of my friends have gone and claimed to have had a great time. They go back every year. Some families for a decade. So I thought I must see what our family is missing out on.


Not sure yet....... The beach was wonderful. The water was warm. The sand was amazing. The 1700 sq ft condo right on the beach was beautiful. The pools were awesome. The workout facilities were new. They had computers for their guests.

Things I am now grateful for.......

1.I do not live in a Shantee. My house does not consist of 4 garage doors tied together.

2.Police officers. I am thankful for a structured government. My kids do not have to witness police officers in a back of a truck with an assault rifle,pointed at some one's head. (true story)

3.Jobs. My kids do not have to make necklaces or sell Chiclets at the age of 9.

4. clean grocery stores. We bought most of our own food but ran out of little things here and there. The overall feeling in public was uncertain and unsafe.

5. Movie theatres....I know this is silly, but we never saw one. Most of the town is falling apart.(minus the new condos being built for Americans)

6.Shoes. I saw a lot of people without them. I am sure it was not their first choice.

7.I am thankful I do not have to beg for money on a daily basis.

8.Restaurants with 4 walls. A clean place to eat that was fresh water and follows health code requirements.

9.peace of mind

10. That I do not live in Mexico!!!!!!!

The best thing this vacation brought for my family is appreciation. My kids witnessed 250 miles away,that families live in squalor. They watched mothers,fathers children work hard walking up and down the beach selling anything they could. They saw kids working at the grocery store who were less than 10 years of age. They saw a school that looked condemned, that was open. They saw the difference in life between the locals and the people who visited. They saw the arrogance in some of the visitors and how they treated the locals. We had a chance to be generous,because we could. They understood why it was important to be kind. They knew they were happy to live our lives instead of theirs.

Tomorrow I will post beautiful pictures. I will post all the positives of our trip. I just felt all this needed to be said.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

I am grateful for those things as well...glad you are back from your vacation! I wanna see some pictures :)

Julie said...

Isn't it sad? the things we take for granted until we reality hits...What a great learning lesson for your kids!!