Friday, March 21, 2008

How long does a tortoise live????



My kids FOUND this tortoise!!!!!Walking down the road in Augusta Ranch. So I guess first of all if you hear of anyone who has lost a desert tortoise let us know. This thing is fast and has an appetite. We are having lots of fun with it. But have found it comes with some responsibility. It needs a hole dug. Must have food and water. Oh, and I need to turtle proof my yard. We don't want to fnd it in the bottom of our pool.
Anyone out there have one of these? Any tips from my neighbors?

5 comments:

Kyle said...

Thats cool...I am so not an animal person but for some reason I have always wanted a pet turtle!
I don't have any tips...but good luck!

Laurel said...

Okay, did you learn nothing from my cat post?! Nothing at all? When they ask you so no! See?

You're a nut! But a really nice mom. No tips here. I only keep dogs.

Julie said...

Jodi, I have lots of tips...we have 2 tortoises and I got a complete care guide when I got them. call me.

Amanda said...

The only thing that I can think of is that I once heard you have to wash your hands each time after handling them. I can't remember what it is that you can catch. Maybe call a vet to be sure.

Btw, your grass looks beautiful!

brilopez38 said...

I know a lot about the Russian tortoise... they will get no bigger than 8-10" and loves grass, fruit, and tortoise pellets that you can get at a pet store. they are strictly a vegetarian and there very social animals. they make great pets!